We all know that limes are delicious and in abundance in the Solomon Islands, and that they add a citrusy kick to everything from salad dressings to cocktails.
The long list of health benefits is seriously impressive – not only does the fruit contain antibacterial properties that cleanse the kidneys and liver and strengthen your immune system, but it offers a hefty dose of vitamin C and antioxidants that fight free-radicals and help keep you looking younger.
What fewer people know is that limes also have some unexpected uses. Here are seven ways the handy fruit can solve your trickiest kitchen dilemmas and help enhance your meals.
1. Prevent browning: A few squeezes of juice can do wonders for avocado, apples, bananas, and peeled raw potatoes, since lime juice is just acidic enough to prevent the oxidation that turns produce brown.
2. To crisp up and revitalize limp lettuce leaves: Soak them in a bowl of cold water with ½ cup of lime juice, then refrigerate for an hour.
3. Stop rice from sticking: Have a problem with clumpy rice? You’re in luck – adding a few drops of lime juice to your cooking water helps prevent the rice from sticking together. Added plus? The lime juice will also whiten your rice and keep it looking great on the dinner plate!
4. Keep brown sugar soft: The juice isn’t the only useful part of the lime. Its super moist and flavorful peel can work wonders in the kitchen too. Add a slice of the skin (with the pulp completely removed) to brown sugar to keep it from clumping and hardening.
5. Cook perfect hard-boiled eggs: Even if you’ve mastered perfectly hard-boiled eggs, try brushing the eggshells with lime juice before adding them to the pot for a little added insurance. The lime juice helps keep the shells from cracking while they cook, and it also makes them easier to peel once they’re ready to eat.
6. Tenderize meat: Lime juice is a great meat tenderizer. The acidity gently breaks down the fibers in meat, leaving it scrumptiously fork-tender.
7. Health booster: Get in the habit of starting the day with a cup of hot water and lime – it’ll kick start your metabolism and get your morning off to a healthy start!